Tuesday, September 05, 2017

the witch hunt*

you say
there are plenty
plenty for you and me

but i look around
and all i do
is come up empty

you say
there are plenty
plenty of them in the sea

but i gulp down
and all i end up
is thirsty 

you say
there are plenty
plenty more fish in the sea

but i bite down
and all i feel
is hungry

you say
there is nothing
nothing left
to worry

and you're right

cos i look down
and all there is
is water at my feet




* This image is a digital map of ocean traffic, mined from 18th- and 19th-century ship's logs.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've written (and published) anything on this blog (over 4 years, not including "the morning moon"). I keep on saying this, but hopefully this is the start of another wind of creative writing. I think part of my recent struggle is that I don't want to write anything too depressing. And yet, my most creative juices seem to come out when I contemplate utterly morose ideas (like an ocean vacuous of life). I suppose I should just embrace how I'm wired. And just let it out. Honestly, it's probably better than keeping it in. :| 


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

witch hunt
- looking for something that is not there
- a false venture
- a failed premise
- lies and deception
- Donald Trump
- politics
- false news
- denial of truths

you
- the spokesperson
- the politician
- the figurehead
- the promisor

plenty for you and me / of them in the sea / more fish in the sea
- promise of limitless bounty, goods, resources, food, love, happiness
- the promise of capitalism and consumerism
- more is real, more is better, more is God

come up empty / hungry / thirsty
- the promises fall short
- reality is limitation
- things are finite
- life is mortal

nothing left to worry
- an absence, a vacuum

water at my feet
- an empty ocean
- pools of water
- a world without life

8:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.