Thursday, October 09, 2008

vanilla

cupcakes and
sugar shakes
i lick my lips
until they crack
pink

Pay attention, now.
Cos this will cost you.

candles and
baby balloons
i swallow the sea
until i split and
sink

Did you catch that?
You can't miss it.

icing and
finger curls
i close my eyes
until my teeth
wink

Look at that.
You found me.




























(wink)




*
These things freak the hell outta me. My first (and I suppose only) encounter with the anglerfish was at the Royal BC Museum in Victoria, where one of their exhibits was showing models of deep sea fish. I remember standing in a room that was coloured in an orangey-red, with ambient water sounds cascading all over me, and a narrator's voice, describing in detail how the anglerfish caught its prey. I think that experience scarred me for life, which has now lead me to write this piece. Pay back time! (I'm not sure what I meant by that.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.